Having a great smile can give a person the feeling of confidence and boost their self esteem but if they have broken, discolored, or crooked teeth it can have the opposite effect. If you have any of these problems you can get back that great smile with the help of cosmetic dentistry. There are two ways in which the appearance of your teeth can be improved, which are dental crowns or dental veneers. Between the two there are similarities and differences.
Both of these methods are done by using custom-made molding of the patient’s teeth in order to give them healthy, white teeth. The first thing cosmetic dentists do is take a mold of the tooth or teeth to be fixed and then send the mold to the dental laboratory. This is so the dental veneers or crowns are tailored to the patient’s mount. When the cosmetic dentist receives it back the molding is adhered to the patient’s tooth using an adhesive. Both of these can withstand stains from cigarettes, tea, and coffee. Both dental veneers and crowns cost approximately the same to have done.
- These will only encase the front of the tooth, which is the part that is revealed when the patient smiles.
- With a veneer the thickness of the tooth only needs to have its thickness reduced by one millimeter or less because they only cover the front part of the tooth.
- These are used for patients who basically have a strong and healthy tooth structure even if the tooth has gaps, discolored, crooked or misshapen. Any of these teeth can be saved if they tooth structure is strong and healthy.
- Veneers are brittle yet strong so if the tooth that needs to be fixed does a lot of grinding and chewing veneers would not be a good choice.
- When getting a crown it will enclose the entire tooth.
- In order for the crown to fit over the entire tooth the thickness of the tooth will need to be reduced by approximately two millimeters or more.
- Using a crown it will change the color and shape of the tooth drastically so they are mainly used to repair teeth that are decayed or broken
- They are stronger than dental veneers so they can be used on teeth that do the most chewing and grinding
When you want to improve the appearance of you smile and teeth talk to you dentist about which you should choose. To have the work done your dentist will refer you to a dentist that does Pinhole surgical technique or cosmetic correction of gummy smile. They will be able to help you choose which the best option for you specific needs is.